Send DX Hints or Kinks to any of the Blog Authors shown below.

Sunday, February 3, 2019

Exporting WSJT-X logs to LOGic & other logging programs

My logging program, LOGic, has been promising for many months to add a fix that will allow WSJT-X QSOs to automatically become a part of my LOGic log.  I have been logging those QSOs on paper and then later typing them into the LOGic program.  But I finally got tired of waiting for the fix and decided to learn how to export my FT8 and other QSOs out of WSJT-X and into LOGic. 

I thought that would be simple.  I was wrong.  It took many hours for me (not the most computer literate guy in the world) to finally make these transfers work quickly and smoothly.

WVDXA President Clark Stewart W8TN suggested I put a "how-to" into writing in case others have been having similar problems with their logging programs.  I won't go through all the other methods I used, all of them taking several steps and wasting time before QSOs would finally get into my logging program's log, but here is the explanation of what I finally did.

First, in order to import into LOGic I must click on an "import" tab and then an "ADIF" dropdown tab.  That brings up a window that allows me to browse for a file's location.  I can then browse to most places; like desktop, documents, downloads, etc.  However it will not find the directory where wsjtx_log.adi is located.  Specifically it will not browse me to C:\Users\Garry\AppData\Local\WSJT-X\wsjtx_log.adi.  Even when I typed all that into Logic's window, it would not take me there.  It just kept telling me the file was not found and instructing me to check spelling and try again.  I must have done this 50 times over the past few days.

However, I finally discovered a way to get LOGic to the right location.
I remembered that LOGic's export window always opens at the last place that it found and used an export file.  I figured that LOGic's import window would do the same.  If I could only get it to the right location in the first place, it ought to automatically go there the next time.  So, I went into the WSJT-X program and put my cursor on the wsjtx_log.adi file and right clicked.  That took me to a "send to" button where a dropdown allowed me to send a shortcut to the desktop.  LOGic's import window went there without problem and did the import, and now (voila) every time I call up LOGic's import window it takes me to C:\Users\Garry\AppData\Local\WSJT-X\wsjtx_log.adi automatically.  Eureka!
Whew.  What a struggle.  Now the process is simple as long as I remember to erase the log file in WSJT-X after each export.  That way only the new contacts are added to my log each time I import in LOGic.  Otherwise the QSOs that were transferred before will be transferred again putting duplicate QSOs into my log.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Garry, I do not erase my wsjt_log_adi file. I download it to desktop, then import it in to LOGic 9 , then run the remove duplicate QSO program in LOGic 9. Wish I knew you had this problem I could have saved you some grief.

Phil W8UV
I too have been trying to get Dennis to allow direct import to LOGic 9. You connect JTAlert to wsjt-x and it broadcasts the QSO. N3FJP logging software allows the direct import, so it can be done, by receiving the broadcast.

W8OI said...

Thanks, Phil. I know that LOGic has a remove duplicates function. I wanted to remove the two steps of having to downoad to somewhere other than LOGic and of having to remove dupes.